This is a super easy nature craft we learned how to do during the winter fair at Booh’s school:
Material list: acorn, unfinished wooden bead, felting wool, felt, raffia, silk flower (optional), hot glue gun and a fine tip magic marker.
- Draw a simple face on the unfinished wooden bead with a fine tip marker.
- Glue the wooden bead atop an acorn that is just larger than the bead.
- Glue a small lock of felting wool to the top of the wooden bead.
- Glue a rectangular piece of felt on top of the wool lock.
- Tie around the “neck” a piece of raffia, holding down the felt “scarf.”
Between Step 2 & 3, take a detached silk flower and cut a hole in the middle, just large enough to push over the “head” of the gnome. Leave off Step 4 and glue an acorn top on as a hat instead.
These make great handmade “green” gifts for the holidays. You can coordinate the colors to match the seasons and make them for May Day, Winter Solstice, or Fall Equinox to give as gifts or add to a nature table.